Vishnu Dutt Sharma
Vishnu Dutt SharmaVisiting Professor , Mathematics
- BSc: University of Allahabad, 1966
- MSc: University of Allahabad, 1968
- PhD: Banaras Hindu University, 1972
Email: vsharma -AT- iitgn.ac.in
- Visiting Professor, Indian Institute of Technology Gandhinagar (2019 - Present)
- Emeritus Fellow Department of Mathematics, IIT Bombay (Nov 2017 to present)
- Visiting Professor, (on Deputation from IITB) in Autumn Semesters at IIT Goa (2017)
- Visiting Professor, (on Deputation from IITB) in Autumn Semesters at IIT Gand- hinagar (2010)
- Institute Chair Professor, Department of Mathematics, IIT Bombay (Feb 2015 - Oct 2017)
- Convener, Senate Nominations Committee, IIT Bombay, (2010)
- Institute Chair Professor, Department of Mathematics, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay (Dec 2009 - Dec 2012)
- Head, Department of Mathematics, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay (Jan 2003 - Dec 2006)
- Convener of Postgraduate, Academic Performance Evaluation Committee (PGAPEC), Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay (Mar 2001 – Dec 2002)
- Head, Department of Mathematics, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay (Nov 1996 - Feb 2000)
- Professor, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay (Mar 1988 - present)
- Reader, Banaras Hindu University (now IIT BHU) (Nov 1983 - Mar 1988)
- Lecturer, Banaras Hindu University (now IIT BHU) (Sep 1972 - Nov 1983)
Triveni P. Shukla and V.D. Sharma, “Evolution equation for wave amplitude exhibiting quartic nonlinearity”, Math. Methods Appl. Sci. 41, (2018) 9422-9440.
Zafar, M. and Sharma, V. D., “Classification of the Riemann problem for compressible two-dimensional Euler system in non-ideal gas, Nonlinear Analysis Real World Applications (Elsevier) 43, (2018) 245-261.
Triveni P. Shukla and V.D. Sharma, “Under-compressive shock waves in Hall MHD, Mathematical Methods in Applied Sciences (Wiley) 41(2018), 4360-4375.
Triveni P. Shukla, G. Madhumita, and V.D. Sharma, “Evolution of planar and cylindrically symmetric magneto-acoustic waves in a van der Waals fluid”, accepted for publication in International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics (Elsevier), 91 (2017), 58-68.
ANUPAM SEN, T. RAJA SEKHAR, and V. D. SHARMA, “Wave interactions and stability of the Riemann solution for a strictly hyperbolic system of conservation laws”, QUARTERLY OF APPLIED MATHEMATICS (USA), VOLUME LXXV, Nr. 3 (2017), 539–554.
- RESEARCH DISSEMINATION AWARD [instituted by the Industrial Research and Consultancy Centre (IRCC) of IIT Bombay] for the year 2015 was conferred on the monograph: Quasilinear Hyperbolic Systems, Compressible Flows, and Waves, CRC Press, Fl (USA), 2010, authored by Prof. V.D. Sharma, Department of Mathematics, IIT Bombay. (Nov 2016).
- Delivered Twentyninth P. L. Bhatnagar Award Lecture at the 81st Annual Conference of the Indian Mathematical Society (IMS) held at Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology (VNIT), Nagpur (Dec 27, 2015).
- Received the “IIT Bombay – Excellence in Teaching Award” for the year 2015.
- Institute Chair Professor (Feb, /b>2015) in the Department of Mathematics, IIT Bombay for a period of three years.
- Delivered the Fellowship Award Lecture at the International Academy of Physical Sciences, Allahabad held at NIT Surat during Dec 2011.
- Institute Chair Professor (Dec 2009- Dec 2012) in the Department of Mathematics, IIT Bombay for a period of three years.
- Received “Prof. S.C. Bhattacharya Research Excellence Award in Pure Sciences”, instituted by the Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, 2005.
- Received the “IIT Bombay – Excellence in Teaching Award” for the year 2003.
- Recipient of “Distinguished Services Award” from the Vijnana Parishad of India and the Indian Society of Information Theory and Applications, at their joint - Conference held at NSIT, New Delhi, for outstanding contributions to Promote Applications of Mathematics in India, 2002.
- Recipient of “M. N. Saha Award for Research in Theoretical Sciences, University Grants Commission, Govt. of India, 2001.
- Recipient of “C. L. Chandna Mathematics Award”, Canadian World Education Foundation, Canada, for Distinguished and Outstanding Contributions to Mathematics Research and Teaching, 1999.
- Received “IIT Bombay - Excellence in Teaching Award” for the year 1998.
- Received the President of India Award for the Best Research Paper presented at the 20th Congress of the Indian Society of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (ISTAM), held at the Institute of Technology, BHU (now IIT, BHU), Varanasi – 1975.