Tannistha SamantaAssistant Professor, Humanities and Social Sciences
- BSc: Bethune College/Calcutta University, 2002
- MSc: Calcutta University, 2004
- MPhil: JNU/Center for Development Studies, 2006
- MA: University of Maryland, 2009
- PhD: University of Maryland, 2012
Email: tannistha -AT- iitgn.ac.in
Website : http://people.iitgn.ac.in/~tannistha/
- Assistant Professor, Indian Institute of Technology Gandhinagar (Dec 2011 to present)
- Research Intern, Futures Group Global, One Thomas Circle, Washington DC (Summer 2011)
- Policy Fellow, Population Reference Bureau, 1875 Connecticut Avenue, Washington DC (Summer 2010)
- Consultant, ICF Macro International Inc, Calverton, Maryland (Summer 2008)
- Research Assistant, India Human Development Survey Group, Department of Sociology, University of Maryland, College Park (Aug 2008 - May 2009)
- Senior Research Officer, Indian Institute of Health Management Research, Jaipur, India (Aug 2006 - July 2007)
Samanta, Tannistha. 2019. The joint family and its discontents: Examining ambivalence in intergenerational relationships,
Asian Population Studies, Taylor & Francis. https://doi.org/10.1080/17441730.2018.1560659.
Samanta, Tannistha. 2018. The “Good Life”: Third Age, Brand Modi and the cultural demise of old age in India. Journal of Anthropology & Aging., 39(1): 94-104.
Samanta, Tannistha & Sini Varghese. 2018. Love in the time of aging: Sociological reflections on marriage, gender and intimacy. Ageing International: 1-17. Springer.
4.Devi, Anusmita* and Samanta, Tannistha. 2018. Media and age-coded representations of later life: An analysis of selected print advertisements
of English language magazines in India. Journal of Women & Aging. Taylor & Francis.
Samanta, Tannistha. 2018. “Review”. Rev. of Successful Aging: Asian Perspectives. Springer by Cheng, Sheung-Tak, Chi, I, Fung,
H.H, Li, W, L & Woo, J (2015). Journal of Women & Aging, Taylor & Francis. 30(3).
Gangopadhyay, J* and Tannistha Samanta. 2017. “Family Matters”: Ageing and intergenerational social contract in urban Ahmedabad,
Contributions to Indian Sociology, SAGE. 51 (3): 1-23.
Samanta, Tannistha 2017. Examining the role of context: Aging, family structure and health. In Mishra & Rajan (eds).
India’s Aged: Needs & Vulnerabilities. Orient Black Swan. India.
Samanta, Tannistha (ed) 2016. Cross-Cultural and Cross-Disciplinary Perspectives in Social Gerontology. Springer International.
Samanta, Tannistha. 2016. Bridging the gap: Theory and research in social gerontology (chapter 1) in In Samanta, T (ed).
Cross-Cultural and Cross-Disciplinary Perspectives in Social Gerontology. Springer International.
Samanta, Tannistha & Gangopadhyay, Jagriti* .2016. Social Capital, Interrupted: Sociological reflections from old age homes in
Ahmedabad, Gujarat. (chapter 6) In Samanta, T (ed). Cross-Cultural and Cross-Disciplinary Perspectives in Social Gerontology. Springer International.
Rajan, S.I, Devi, Anusmita* and Samanta Tannistha. 2016. Antecedents of subjective wellbeing among older adults in Kerala.
(chapter 8) In Samanta, T (ed). Cross-Cultural and Cross-Disciplinary Perspectives in Social Gerontology. Springer International.
Samanta, Tannistha, Shivakumar Jolad, Mukta Gundi, Malavika Subramanyam (2016). Ahmedabad-District Human Development Report,
District Collector, Ahmedabad and Gujarat Social Infrastructure Development Board, Government of Gujarat.
Issacson, M, D’Ambrosio, Lisa, Samanta, Tannistha and Joseph Coughlin (2015). Life stage and Mobility. Journal of Aging & Social Policy, 27(4).
Samanta, Tannistha, Chen, Feinian and Vanneman, Reeve (2014). Living Arrangements and Health of Older Adults in India.
Journals of Gerontology, Series B: Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences. DOI: 10.1093/geronb/gbu164.
- Samanta, Tannistha. Gully Boy’s Azadi comes from adigital revolution among urban poor, The Quint (March 13, 2019)
- Samanta, Tannistha. Sex & respectability utopia in Priyanka Chopra’s Bumble Ad, The Quint, (Feb 2, 2019)
- Samanta, Tannistha. Bollywood’s re-imagination of growing old. Kafila (July 16, 2018)
- Samanta, Tannistha & Gundi, Mukta. 2018. Padman, Patriarchy and the Poor Man’s Innovation. Kafila (Feb 28, 2018)
- Samanta, Tannistha, , International Network for Critical Gerontology, McMaster University, Ontario, Canada (April 28, 2017)
- Research Award, Evidence-based Measures of Empowerment for Research on Gender Equality (EMERGE) Initiative, Center on Gender Equity & Health, UC SanDiego | 2017-2018
- Excellence in Teaching Award, IIT-Gandhinagar (2013-2014)
- Visiting Scholar, College of Arts and Science, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada- Spring 2014
- Departmental Visitor, Center for Excellence in Population Aging Research (CEPAR), Australian National University, Canberra—December 7-13, 2013
- Brown International Advanced Research Institutes (BIARI)- Santander Universities Fellowship Brown University, Providence, RI----Summer 2013
- Jacob K. Goldhaber Travel Award, The Graduate School, University of Maryland, College Park---- Fall 2011
- RAND Summer Institute Fellowship, , RAND Corporation, Santa Monica, CA-- Summer, 2011
- Fellows Program in Population Policy Communications, Population Reference Bureau, Washington DC----- 2010-2011
- International Teaching Fellowship, Center for Teaching Excellence, University of Maryland, College Park, MD----- 2008-2009